Saturday, July 07, 2007
I finally took pictures of the black shirt. This was my first time working with the New Look 6407 that has been reviewed many times on PatternReview. I love the lines of the shirt, the darts that shape it just so, the curved hem, and the neckline is just beautiful.
I used a very fine (Zegna) cotton twill from Michael's Fabrics. It was actually a mistake - I had meant to order a bottom-weight black cotton from the same mailer, but when I unpacked this, there was no way it was going back. This fabric is cotton heaven. And I have about 10yds of it, including what's in this shirt, so there will be more. For starters, I'm going to add some length and make it into a shirt dress. After that, we'll see.
Now, people with a discerning eye will notice that the collar goes really high in the back. This is because yours truly got distracted during the pattern adjustment stage and skipped the square shoulder alteration. This I realized after I had already topstitched the flat-felled seams. Oh well. I did fix the pattern right away so that I wouldn't have this issue crop up again. The white tunic in the previous post was made with the fixed pattern.
I think I am going to reshape the collar a little because this one reminds me of the 70's styles - spread high and wide. I prefer my collar tips to come down a little and stay closer to the midline.